In the “Dry Heat”
Abraham and I are in the California desert for the Resolved Conference. It’s my first time in a desert of any kind. Here are some observations:
- This whole “dry heat” thing… that doesn’t mean that it’s not hot. It’s super hot. So don’t let anyone trick you into thinking that you won’t feel hot. You will.
- To compensate for the heat, many of the businesses have these mist machines on their awnings that line the streets to cool people while they walk. One of my favorite quotes from Abraham: “If ‘dry heat’ is so wonderful, why are they spraying sweat at us?” The cool thing about the mist is that it’s so fine that it doesn’t even show up on my glasses. That’s a mist I can live with!
- Salt water pools are sooo cool. Your skin doesn’t dry out as much.
- Another funny quote from Abraham: “Time slows down when it’s hot and you’re bored.”
- Body parts get burned easily: hands on steering wheels and feet on pool decks.
As far as the conference goes, we’re here representing Desiring God, handing out free materials and taking survey data to improve DG’s website. Abraham’s dad speaks tomorrow night and Monday night. This conference crowd is made up of 20-somes, mostly from the southern California area. Some of them really like John Piper. We find it convenient that our name tags don’t have our names on them! Not that we’re embarrassed, it just makes it easier sometimes.
When this one girl found out that Abraham was JP’s son, she asked him if she could have her picture taken with him. It was hilarious!