Art Music Justice Tour
This week I had the privilege of attending the Art*Music*Justice Tour, a concert event featuring Derek Webb, Sara Groves, Charlie Peacock, Sandra McCracken, and Brandon Heath.
The vision of the tour is to alert Christians to some of the justice issues going on worldwide, like slavery, poverty, human trafficking, etc. Their hope is for Christians to respond in loving, prayerful action to relieve some of the suffering worldwide, and be part of God’s story around the world.
The music was awesome and the documentary clips were compelling without being manipulative (which was something I was a little nervous about beforehand). My soul was stirred to consider how our family should fit into God’s larger story.
We’ve been pretty locked up with our pain this year, losing a child. And though that’s what God has brought into our life to live with right now, in this season, I had to wonder, what more does he want from us?
Some highlights of the concert for me:
- Watching husband and wife singing and playing together (Derek Webb & Sandra McCracken).
- Hearing Sara Groves. I had never listened to her music before, and she was simply wonderful.
- Sandra McCracken. I have liked her music for so many years, and it was so wonderful to hear her live. Though she has her own sound, of course, think of a Christian Patty Griffin if you need a comparison. I love folk music.
- Being drawn into the stories and experiences presented in the videos they shared.
- Getting to hang out on the tour bus afterward with Sandra McCracken! Yes, that’s right! My dear friend Jenna has been friends with Sandra since childhood, so was able to get us tickets to the show and get us into said tour bus after the show. So fun! We had a blast.
If this tour is coming through your town, I highly recommend it.